Unregistered Vehicle Permit VIC | Essential Things to Know About

VICROADS Unregistered Vehicle Permit VIC

If you need to drive an unregistered vehicle on public roads in Victoria, obtaining an Unregistered Vehicle Permit VIC (UVP) is essential. This permit is designed for specific situations where it’s either impractical or unreasonable to have the vehicle registered during the permit’s duration.

A UVP is necessary for several unique circumstances. For example, if you’re participating in organized events like carnivals or processions that involve unregistered vehicles such as carnival floats, a UVP is required. Additionally, vehicles used in approved rallies conducted by recognized motorsport organizations can operate legally on public roads under a rally-specific UVP. These permits ensure that while the vehicle is unregistered, it still adheres to legal standards for temporary road use.

 Remember that a UVP cannot be used as a substitute for full registration and is strictly for the journey or event specified in the application.

Moreover, UVPs are not valid for social or domestic use and can only be issued for trips that commence in Victoria. The permit holder is responsible for ensuring that all aspects of the journey fall within the terms of the UVP. This includes maintaining compulsory insurance cover through the Transport Accident Commission (TAC), which is crucial for protecting all road users.

When planning to use a UVP, it’s recommended to apply well in advance of your intended travel date to ensure all paperwork is in order and any required inspections are completed. This proactive approach helps avoid any legal issues and ensures your unregistered vehicle is covered under the law.

What is Meant by Unregistered Vehicle

An unregistered vehicle (UC) is one that does not have current registration with the relevant road authorities, meaning it lacks the official documentation and license plates that permit legal road use. Such vehicles include those that have had their registration expire, newly purchased vehicles that haven’t been registered yet, or vehicles imported from other regions awaiting local registration. Operating an unregistered vehicle on public roads is generally illegal unless covered by a specific permit, such as an Unregistered Vehicle Permit (UVP) for temporary circumstances.

VICRoads Unregistered Vehicle Permit Rules

Step 1: Check the Vehicle Registration and Safety

Before applying for a UVP, it’s essential to ensure that the vehicle is in a safe condition for road use. You must declare the vehicle’s safety when purchasing the UVP. To qualify for a UVP, the vehicle must meet the following criteria:

  1. It must not be currently registered.
  2. It should not be suspended due to unrepaired safety-related issues.
  3. It cannot be recorded as a statutory write-off.
  4. It must not be recorded as stolen.
  5. It should not be under any sanction from the Sheriff’s Office.

To verify the vehicle’s status, you can check its records by visiting the VicRoads website and looking up the vehicle registration details.

Driving with a UVP on Your Learner Permit

Learner drivers are allowed to operate a vehicle with a UVP if accompanied by a fully licensed driver. Similarly, learner riders can ride a motorcycle issued with a UVP, following the same guidelines.

Left-Hand Drive Vehicles

  • For left-hand drive vehicles, the rules vary based on the age of the vehicle:
  • If your vehicle is over 25 years old and left-hand drive (LHD), you can obtain a UVP.
  • If your LHD vehicle is less than 25 years old, you cannot get a UVP unless the vehicle is being moved for a one-off event such as storage or conversion to right-hand drive (RHD), or if it is classified as plant/machinery.

These rules ensure that all vehicles with a UVP are safe for road use and meet specific regulatory standards, providing a clear path for those needing to use an unregistered vehicle temporarily under controlled conditions.

Information Require for Applying UVP

When you’re applying for a UVP, it’s important to gather all the necessary details ahead of time to ensure a smooth application process. Here’s what you’ll need to provide:

  • Personal Details: Your full name and address, which will be used to contact you about your application.
  • Contact Information: Your telephone number and email address, ensuring that VicRoads can reach you if there are any queries or updates regarding your UVP.
  • Vehicle Storage Location: The address where the vehicle is kept, often referred to as the vehicle’s garage address.
  • Vehicle Details: You will need to provide comprehensive information about the vehicle to help identify and register it for the UVP. This includes:
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): This unique code is crucial for identifying the vehicle.
  • Chassis or Engine Number: Additional identifiers that may be required if the VIN is not available.
  • Year of Manufacture: The year your vehicle was made.
  • Make: The brand or manufacturer of the vehicle.
  • Model: The specific model of the vehicle.
  • Body Type: Such as sedan, coupe, hatchback, SUV, etc.
  • Colour: The primary colour of the vehicle.

Having this information ready will expedite your application and help ensure that your UVP is processed without delays.

Price/Cost of Unregistered Vehicle Permit in VIC

The cost of obtaining an Unregistered Vehicle Permit (UVP) in Victoria can vary depending on several factors, including the type of vehicle and the duration of the permit. As fees may differ from one case to another, it’s important to get the most accurate and up-to-date information directly from the responsible authority.

For detailed pricing and any additional costs that might apply, please reach out to VicRoads or the relevant local council. They can provide you with all the necessary details regarding the fees for a UVP based on your specific needs and circumstances.

Eligibility/Conditions for Unregistered Vehicle VICRoads Permit

To apply for a UVP in Victoria, certain eligibility criteria and conditions must be met, especially if the vehicle will be used in specific scenarios like carnivals or motor rallies.

Carnival or Procession Vehicles:

If you’re applying for a UVP for a vehicle to be used in a carnival or procession, you must ensure the vehicle meets roadworthiness standards regarding:

  • Brake System: Must function reliably and effectively.
  • Driver Access and Ventilation: The driver’s cabin must be easily accessible and well-ventilated.
  • Exhaust System: Should be intact and leak-free.
  • Steering: Must be stable and responsive.
  • Stop Lamps and Turn Signal Lamps: All indicator lamps must be functional to communicate with other road users.
  • Visibility of the Driver: The driver must have clear visibility from the driving position.
  • Warning Devices: Must include functional horns or other warning devices.

Additionally, an over-dimensional permit is required if the vehicle exceeds standard dimensions.

Rally Vehicles:

For a rally-specific UVP, the applicant must:

  • Be a member of a car club affiliated with the Confederation of Australian Motorsport (CAMS).
  • Hold a National Rally Licence or an International Rally Licence.
  • Obtain a current Victorian Certificate of Roadworthiness or a Scrutineers Form from CAMS.

General UVP Applications:

Other applicants seeking a UVP for reasons other than participating in a carnival or rally must provide:

  • Detailed reasons for needing the permit.
  • The desired start date and time for the permit’s validity.
  • The number of days the permit is required.
  • Any additional information as required by VicRoads or the relevant agency.

These requirements ensure that all vehicles operating under a UVP are safe for road use and comply with local traffic laws, thereby safeguarding both the driver and the public.

Make sure you removed your Vehicles Registration Plates/number plates (Rego) 

Unregistered Vehicle Permit from VIC to NSW

If you need to move an unregistered vehicle from Victoria to New South Wales, you must obtain a UVP from VicRoads. This permit will cover your journey across state lines, ensuring you comply with both VIC and NSW road regulations. Make sure the permit specifics align with the requirements of both states for smooth transit.

Unregistered Vehicle Permit from VIC to QLD

For driving an unregistered vehicle from Victoria to Queensland, secure a UVP from VicRoads that is valid for the duration of your travel to QLD. It’s crucial to check Queensland’s transport department guidelines to ensure your permit meets all necessary legal standards for the entire journey.

Unregistered Vehicle Permit from VIC to WA

When travelling with an unregistered vehicle from Victoria to Western Australia, you will need a UVP that explicitly covers the extensive cross-state trip. Confirm with WA’s transport authorities that your Victorian UVP is recognized and sufficient to cover the vehicle under WA’s traffic laws.

Unregistered Vehicle Permit from VIC to SA

If you’re planning to take an unregistered vehicle from Victoria to South Australia, it’s essential to obtain a UVP from VicRoads. This permit should be validated for interstate travel, and you should verify that the conditions of the permit are accepted by South Australian authorities.

Unregistered Vehicle Permit from VIC to NSW

For transporting an unregistered vehicle from Victoria to New South Wales, ensure you have a valid UVP issued by VicRoads. This will facilitate legal travel and compliance with road safety regulations across state lines, particularly focusing on the requirements specific to NSW.